Are you looking for some easy and simple vintage ideas for patriotic decorating?
If you like me aren’t a fan of red, it makes these red, white, and blue holidays a little hard.
On my blog Living Large in A Small House, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. You can find my full Disclosure Policy HERE
With Memorial Day right around the corner and then the Fourth of July a few months later, followed by labor day, I have some easy and simple ideas.
When you decorate primarily with blue and white, you just have to add a little red here and there and it does the trick.
Some of the patriotic decorations that are available seem a little cheesy to me.
Coming up with some great ideas to use my vintage that has patriotic colors is a fun way to pay tribute to the holidays and give your home a festive feel
Looking for Simple Vintage Patriotic Decor Ideas?
Here are some simple ways to add a little bit of red that can easily be moved out when the holiday is over.
- Vintage Red Books
- Small American Flags – I find them at the Dollar Tree
- Tea-Stained or Vintage Flags – I made a wreath and tea-stained the flag and it toned down the red. It’s a beautiful addition to my front door.
- Add a white tea towel with a simple red stripe to your kitchen for that hint of red color
- Old Tins
- Old Pepsi or Coca-Cola Bottles are amazing vintage finds to use for summer and holiday decor
- Old baseballs scream vintage Americana. If you don’t have old ones, an easy way to give them that old feel would also be to soak them in tea.
Many vintage items that are “red” tend to have a beautiful red that isn’t a true red color and I can work with that.
Don’t want Red at All?
If you don’t want to add red at all, here are some creative ideas
- Etsy has some amazing grey wood flags
- Patriotic Sheet Music Framed
- Navy Blue and White Pillows and Throws
- Stars that are blue and white
- Blue ribbon with white stars or stripes
“Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it… it flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it”
Add the Color Red with the Food
If you don’t want to add red to your decor, a simple way to add it is with the food that you serve for Memorial Day July 4th, and/or Labor Day.
There are some fun ways to decorate a dining room or outdoor table with a patriotic display
- Use mason jars for a vintage feel
- Blue & White check tablecloth or fabric
- White Dishes
- Blue or white napkins
- Vintage Books
- Patriotic Centerpiece with blue flowers and white geraniums
- Pop in a few small flags for that pop of red
If you like me don’t really like red in your home, another perfect way to be festive is to decorate your front porch for the holidays. You can welcome people and show your American pride but leave it at the doorstep 🙂
You can never go wrong with just hanging a beautiful American Flag outside!
When I’m at flea markets, antique stores, or even yard sales, I always keep my eye out for things that will add patriotic touches to my home. Finding different ways to add something festive to my white and blue decor isn’t so much of a challenge when I look at vintage items with patriotic ideas in mind.
Peace and Love,
Thanks for Following Along
If you enjoyed this post I hope you sign-up to be a friend of Living Large in A Small House! Then you won’t miss any of the inspiration that is shared with you each week! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. I share even more inspiration on Pinterest! You can listen to me chat on my Podcast
A great way to remember this article is to save it on one of your Pinterest boards. You can find the pin button in the top right corner of the photo below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest