5 Things to Make with Your Fresh Basil
I have a ton of fresh basil so I’m going to share 5 things to make with your fresh basil.
Basil is one of my favorite herbs and it is used very prevalently in Italian dishes.
My 5 Favorite Things
- Caprese Salad
- Chicken with Tomato Basil Sauce – I will post my recipe on Tuesday (Simple, quick and tasty)
- Summer Tomato Basil Pasta
- Topping on homemade Pizza
- Pesto Sauce
I’m going to focus on Pesto because there are so many things you can do with Pesto.
French Bread Toast with Pesto Sauce – Sliced Avocado and Everything but A Bagel Seasoning
Pasta with Pesto Sauce – You can put pesto on any type of pasta. I especially like ravioli or tortellini because they are available in so many different flavors and each flavor changes the essence of the dish.
Pesto Pizza – Replace tomato pizza sauce with pesto and to with anything you like. I personally like tomato slices, garlic, and crazy enough, green olives
Pesto Salad Dressing – Mix your favorite vinegar and oil with some pesto. My favorite is red wine vinegar, avocado oil, and pesto.
Best Pesto Tip
- You can freeze pesto sauce. I freeze it in ice cube trays and when it’s solid I take them out of the tray and put them in a freezer bag.
- You only have to take out what you need and thaw and use
One Last Basil Tip
- I also freeze my basil in olive oil in ice cube trays. I then have that fresh basil taste to throw into your recipes that call for basil that your cooking in the fall and winter.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese fresh
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place basil and pine nuts in food processors, pulse until course
- Add garlic and cheese, pulse some more, scraping down the sides with spatula
- Slowly pour in the olive oil while food processor is running, until well blended and smooth; scraping down the sides with spatula. Add salt and pepper and pulse for a few more seconds.
I hope you found this post useful with my 5 things to make with your fresh basil.
Yummy! Such great ideas.
I have so much basil! I need even more ideas. Today I’m making Caprese salad with my basil and tomatoes.