One of our favorite summer meals is a simple tomato pasta. This family favorite is a recipe that I got from a friend many years ago. This is the time of year that I typically make it often with our abundant supply of garden fresh tomatoes. Unfortunately this year our garden is in ruins. You can read all about that HERE.
Summer Tomato Pasta
- Pasta Bowl
- Mixing Bowls
- 2 3/4 pounds tomatoes Cored and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil shredded
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (Can use less if your want less sodium)
- 1 tablespoon mince garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces fontina cheese (or fontinella) diced into 1/4" pieces
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 pound rotini or other short pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Combine first 4 ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occassionally
- Mix ricotta cheese with milk or cream to thin. Season with spices. Stir in cubed cheeses and let stand.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Darin and put into a large pasta bowl. Mix pasta with olive oil. Add cheese mixture and fold in so pasta is evenly coated.
- Drain tomato mixture in colander used to drain pasta. Put mixture on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with a good portion of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Pass the remainder
- Serve with Fresh French Bread & a Simple Green Salad
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe. I really enjoy making it when we have guests out on the boat for the day. When we get back home I can quickly throw together the tomato salsa and cheese mixture and then let them stand while we enjoy our company. At the last minute I boil the pasta and throw it together. You can serve with some crusty french bread and a simple salad.
I absolutely love pasta bowls. I use them for everything from loads of fresh eggs (did you know that you don’t have to refrigerate fresh eggs right out of the coop), fresh fruit. Here are a few of my favorites
I’ve also recently started making my own pasta with an attachment for my Kitchenaid. I was inspired by Leslie @ my100yearoldhome.com . She has the most awesome home and is so crafty and creative. If you don’t follow along with her, you should.
Enjoy your summer and I hope you enjoy this fun recipe.