Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea that’s bursting with flavor? Look no further than this light and tangy cherry tomato sauce over angel hair pasta! With just a handful of simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
To start, you’ll need a pint of fresh cherry tomatoes, which are the star of the show in this recipe. These little guys are packed with flavor and add a bright, juicy pop to the dish. You’ll also need some garlic, olive oil, and a few other basic pantry staples to round out the sauce. And of course, don’t forget the angel hair pasta – its delicate, silky texture pairs perfectly with the light, tangy sauce.
Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for a quick and easy dinner for two, this cherry tomato sauce over angel hair pasta is sure to hit the spot. So grab your ingredients and get cooking – you won’t be disappointed!
On my blog Living Large in A Small House, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. You can find my full Disclosure Policy HERE
Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta
- Cast-Iron Skillet
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- large saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- pasta serving bowl
Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely diced shallots
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp Redmonds Real Salt
- 1 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 6 oz angel hair pasta
- 2 small mozzarella balls
Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce
- Add olive oil to a cast iron skillet and heat on medium-high
- Add the chopped shallots and sauté until translucent, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and spices and let cook, stirring often for about 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes are bursting.
- Add the vinegar to the skillet and simmer for a few minutes while stirring and well combined. Take off the heat.
- While the tomatoes are cooking down, bring a large pot with water and salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander
- Add the pasta to a pasta bowl, add the sauce, and toss until the pasta is covered. Garnish with mozzarella balls, fresh basil strips, and parmesan cheese.
Ingredients for Light & Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce
When it comes to making a delicious pasta sauce, the right ingredients can make all the difference. To create a light and tangy cherry tomato sauce that perfectly complements angel hair pasta, you’ll need the following ingredients:
Cherry tomatoes are the star of the show in this sauce. These small, sweet tomatoes are bursting with flavor and pair perfectly with the light and tangy sauce. You’ll need about 2 cups of fresh tomatoes for this recipe. In the summer months, I have an abundance of cherry tomatoes and loads of fresh basil in my garden.
Herbs and Spices
To add depth and complexity to the sauce, you’ll need a few herbs and spices. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 minced fresh garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of minced shallots
- Fresh Basil: 2 tablespoons, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- Fresh Oregano: 2 tablespoons, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon (I use the herb salt that I make with fresh herbs and sea salt at the end of the garden season)
- Black pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
To round out the flavors in the sauce, you’ll need a few additional ingredients:
- Extra-Virgin Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Red Wine Vinegar: 2 teaspoons
- Mozzarella Balls
With these ingredients, you’ll be able to create a light and tangy cherry tomato sauce that’s perfect for drizzling over angel hair pasta.
Preparing the Cherry Tomato Sauce
To start preparing the Light & Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce, you will need to heat up some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add some minced garlic and cook it for a minute or until it becomes fragrant.
Next, add the sweet cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook them for about 10 minutes or until they start to burst and release their juices. You can use a wooden spoon to help break them down and release more of their juices.
After the tomatoes have cooked for about 10 minutes, add some salt and black pepper to taste. At this point, you can also add some red pepper flakes if you like your sauce to have a little bit of heat.
Adding the Tangy Element
To give the sauce its tangy flavor, you will need to add some red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar. Add the vinegar to the pan. Stir everything together and let it cook for a few more minutes.
Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed. If you want it to be more tangy, you can add more vinegar. If you want it to be sweeter, you can add some honey or a pinch of sugar to the sauce.
Once the sauce is done, you can serve it over angel hair pasta or any other type of pasta that you prefer. Garnish it with some fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese for added flavor.
Cooking the Angel Hair Pasta
To start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt, about 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. This will give your pasta flavor and prevent it from sticking together.
Once the water is boiling, add the angel hair pasta to the pot. Stir occasionally to prevent the pasta from clumping together. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
To check if the pasta is done, remove a strand from the pot and taste it. The pasta should be tender.
Drain the cooked pasta in a colander. Be sure to shake off any excess water to prevent the sauce from becoming watery.
Finally, transfer the pasta to a large bowl and toss it with a bit of olive oil to prevent it from sticking together. Your angel hair pasta is now ready to be topped with the delicious light and tangy cherry tomato sauce. Angel Hair which is a thin spaghetti is probably my favorite pasta. I like a lighter sauce and angel hair compliments a light sauce like this cherry tomato recipe really well.
To make your dish look as good as it tastes, try garnishing the angel hair pasta with a few cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of fresh basil leaves cut into thin strips. Basil, parsley, or oregano would all be great choices. You could also add a drizzle of olive oil or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
If you want to get really fancy, try serving the pasta in a martini glass or on a bed of arugula. This will add a touch of elegance to your meal and make it feel like you’re dining at a fancy Italian restaurant.
While this Light and tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta is delicious on its own, you could also pair it with a few side dishes to make it a more complete meal. Here are a few suggestions:
- Garlic bread: Toast a few slices of bread and rub them with garlic for a quick and easy side dish or slices of French crusty bread
- Salad: A simple salad with a vinaigrette dressing would be a great complement to the pasta.
- Grilled vegetables: Try grilling some zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers and serving them alongside the pasta.
No matter what side dishes you choose, be sure to keep them simple and let the pasta be the star of the show.
This recipe is for two but you can double or even triple it for your own family.
You can also add some of the pasta water to the dish if you want your sauce to be more creamy.
In place of basil and oregano, you can add 2 tsp of Italian seasoning
If you don’t have cherry tomatoes (grape tomatoes) you can use a can of whole tomatoes, crushing them up as they are cooking
Add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes if you want your sauce a little spicy.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
After making this delicious cherry tomato pasta recipe, you may have some leftovers that you want to store and reheat for later. Here are some simple instructions to ensure the best possible results:
- Let the sauce cool down to room temperature before storing it.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- Label the container or bag with the date and contents.
- Store the sauce in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Transfer the sauce to a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap.
- Microwave the sauce on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until it is heated through.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan.
- Heat the sauce over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Transfer the sauce to an oven-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake the sauce for 20-30 minutes, or until it is heated through.
These simple instructions will help you store and reheat your Light & Tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta with ease. Enjoy!
You’ve just learned how to make a delicious Light and tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta. This dish is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or a fancy dinner party.
The sauce is bursting with flavor from the fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes. The addition of vinegar gives it a tangy kick that perfectly balances the sweetness of the tomatoes.
The angel hair pasta is the perfect choice for this dish since it’s light and delicate, allowing the sauce to shine. The addition of fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese gives it a touch of freshness and richness that elevates the dish to the next level.
Overall, this Light and tangy Cherry Tomato Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta is a must-try for any pasta lover. It’s easy to make, bursting with flavor, and perfect for any occasion. So grab a fork and dig in!
Peace and Love,
Thanks for Following Along
If you enjoyed this post I hope you sign up to be a friend of Living Large in A Small House! Then you won’t miss any of the inspiration that is shared with you each week! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. I share even more inspiration on Pinterest! You can listen to me chat on my Podcast
A great way to save this recipe is to save it to your Pinterest boards. You can find the pin button in the top left corner of the photo below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest
Living Large Podcast
Over a year ago, I had a conversation with Stacy Ling from Bricks N’ Blooms. She’s a master gardener who has created the most beautiful gardens at her home.
She is now a published author. Her book “A Beautiful & Easy-Care Flower Garden” comes out in February. Listen to our conversation and pre-order her new book today!