It’s the perfect time for a picnic and I’m sharing with you everything you need to know to have a fun fall picnic.
The weather is cooling down a bit which makes it a perfect time for a picnic. If you don’t have a picnic basket you can pack your food and drinks in a cooler and head to a fun spot for a meal.
Take a break from your fall decorating and get outside!
1. Where to Go
- A park is a great place for a picnic, especially if you have kids and there is playground equipment
- The beach or waterfront area can be a fun place to swim or fish
- If your a hiker a place off a trail can be a perfect place to have a fall picnic
- Urban spaces can be fun. Think of museum grounds, roof tops, a town square or urban garden.
- The Zoo – Bringing a picnic to the zoo makes for a really fun day
- A botanical garden
- Your own backyard, balcony or deck
Eating outside is just a fun change of pace for anyone. If it’s with a group or just by yourself, there is something to be said for eating a meal in a different environment and bringing your own food can save some money. However, if you want to splurge, getting a salad or sandwich as take-out can be just as fun.
2. What to Bring
- Picnic Basket or cooler with ice
- Something to sit on if they don’t have picnic tables. A picnic blanket or bag chair are perfect.
- Food & Drinks
- Plates, glassware, utensils, napkins, corkscrews, cutting board & knife
- Bug Spray, Sunscreen & Sunglasses
- Trash Bag, Wipes & Paper Towels
3. Fun Picnic Food
- Italian Sub
- Turkey, Cranberry & Brie
- Caprese Sandwich
- Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Turkey, Roasted Red Pepper & Cheese
- Picnic Charcuterie
- Meats: Salami, Turkey, Priscuotto,
- Cheeses: Cheedar, Goat Cheese, Manchango, Swiss
- Crackers: Gluten Free, Pretzel, Flavored
- Nuts & Fruit: Almonds, Dried Cranberries, Grapes
- Veggies & Dip: Carrots, Celery, Asparagus Tips, Peppers
- Fried Chicken & Fixings
- Grilling Food if you have access to a grill or bring a small grill with you (be sure to check fire restrictions in your area)
- Apple Cider
- Hot Chocolate
- Red Wine or Sangria
- Carmel Apple Martini’s
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Apple Pie
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Carmel Cheesecake
- Double Chocolate Cookie Bark
- Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
4. Picnic Entertainment
- Music Venue (We live very near Ravinia)
- Lawn Games (Bags, Frisbee, Football)
- Board Games (Chess, Backgammon, Candyland)
- Water Sports (Floaties, Fishing Pole, floating lounge, life jackets)
- Play List on Phone
- Book, Newspaper, Magazine
- Scavenger Hunt (leave, nuts, feather, rock)
- Listen to a Podcast – Did you know that Emma and I have a Podcast. You can read about it HERE
5. Take it to the Next Level
- Candelabra or lantern (battery operated candles is the best idea)
- Champagne in a Wine Bucket with beautiful glassware
- Linen tablecloth & napkins
- Uber eats delivers a high end dinner
- Romantic location; secluded beach or amazing view, place you met or went on a date
- Ways to Travel: Boat, Bike, Rent a vintage car, Horseback, Limosine,
- Make the adventure a surprise!
Picnics can be so much fun even if it is in your backyard and I have given you everything you need to have a fun fall picnic.
Remember it doesn’t have to be lunch. While we typically think of picnics as a lunchtime ritual. It can be dinner or even bagels & cream cheese for breakfast. Just making time to enjoy the great outdoors is fun.
I hope I’ve provided you with everything you need to know to have a fun fall picnic. Get out there and enjoy this amazing fall weather.