It’s the perfect time for a picnic and I’m sharing with you everything you need to know to have a fun fall picnic.
The weather is cooling down a bit which makes it a perfect time for a picnic. If you don’t have a picnic basket you can pack your food and drinks in a cooler and head to a fun spot for a meal.
Take a break from your fall decorating and get outside!
1. Where to Go
- A park is a great place for a picnic, especially if you have kids and there is playground equipment
- The beach or waterfront area can be a fun place to swim or fish
- If your a hiker a place off a trail can be a perfect place to have a fall picnic
- Urban spaces can be fun. Think of museum grounds, roof tops, a town square or urban garden.
- The Zoo – Bringing a picnic to the zoo makes for a really fun day
- A botanical garden
- Your own backyard, balcony or deck
Eating outside is just a fun change of pace for anyone. If it’s with a group or just by yourself, there is something to be said for eating a meal in a different environment and bringing your own food can save some money. However, if you want to splurge, getting a salad or sandwich as take-out can be just as fun.
2. What to Bring
- Picnic Basket or cooler with ice
- Something to sit on if they don’t have picnic tables. A picnic blanket or bag chair are perfect.
- Food & Drinks
- Plates, glassware, utensils, napkins, corkscrews, cutting board & knife
- Bug Spray, Sunscreen & Sunglasses
- Trash Bag, Wipes & Paper Towels
3. Fun Picnic Food
- Italian Sub
- Turkey, Cranberry & Brie
- Caprese Sandwich
- Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Turkey, Roasted Red Pepper & Cheese
- Picnic Charcuterie
- Meats: Salami, Turkey, Priscuotto,
- Cheeses: Cheedar, Goat Cheese, Manchango, Swiss
- Crackers: Gluten Free, Pretzel, Flavored
- Nuts & Fruit: Almonds, Dried Cranberries, Grapes
- Veggies & Dip: Carrots, Celery, Asparagus Tips, Peppers
- Fried Chicken & Fixings
- Grilling Food if you have access to a grill or bring a small grill with you (be sure to check fire restrictions in your area)
- Apple Cider
- Hot Chocolate
- Red Wine or Sangria
- Carmel Apple Martini’s
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Apple Pie
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Carmel Cheesecake
- Double Chocolate Cookie Bark
- Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
4. Picnic Entertainment
- Music Venue (We live very near Ravinia)
- Lawn Games (Bags, Frisbee, Football)
- Board Games (Chess, Backgammon, Candyland)
- Water Sports (Floaties, Fishing Pole, floating lounge, life jackets)
- Play List on Phone
- Book, Newspaper, Magazine
- Scavenger Hunt (leave, nuts, feather, rock)
- Listen to a Podcast – Did you know that Emma and I have a Podcast. You can read about it HERE
5. Take it to the Next Level
- Candelabra or lantern (battery operated candles is the best idea)
- Champagne in a Wine Bucket with beautiful glassware
- Linen tablecloth & napkins
- Uber eats delivers a high end dinner
- Romantic location; secluded beach or amazing view, place you met or went on a date
- Ways to Travel: Boat, Bike, Rent a vintage car, Horseback, Limosine,
- Make the adventure a surprise!
Picnics can be so much fun even if it is in your backyard and I have given you everything you need to have a fun fall picnic.
“Affiliate links are used for your convenience at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.”
Remember it doesn’t have to be lunch. While we typically think of picnics as a lunchtime ritual. It can be dinner or even bagels & cream cheese for breakfast. Just making time to enjoy the great outdoors is fun.
I hope I’ve provided you with everything you need to know to have a fun fall picnic. Get out there and enjoy this amazing fall weather.
If you want to save this post, pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board. Just hover over the image and click the red button in the top left corner. You can also follow me on Pinterest!