The Perfect Meal for a Cold Winter Day
Do you want the perfect meal for a cold winter day?
I’m cooking up a family favorite over at our small house. My Just Right Spicy Chili.
On my blog Living Large in A Small House, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. You can find my full Disclosure Policy HERE
I love a snow day! It’s just so nice to be inside, a fire crackling in the fireplace and a pot of Turkey Chili on the stove.
When the kids were little they would go out and build a snowman or skate on the river if it was frozen. They would come back in when they got too cold and they would warm up with a mug of hot chocolate and a bowl of hot chili.
The Perfect Meal for a Cold Winter Day
This isn’t just a family favorite, it’s a classic American winter meal! It’s for a snow day, football game, potluck, and/or feed-a-big-crowd event.
Traditionally this is made with ground beef however, I sometimes lighten it up by using ground turkey.
Just Right Spicy Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey I use 2 pd of meat because we like our chili pretty meaty and we don't add beans
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt (less is optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you don't want it as spicy)
- 1 16 oz can of red kidney beans (optional)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot on medium heat, add diced onions, and cook until translucent, stirring continually so they don't burn. Then add ground meat and brown. Drain if necessary.
- Add the garlic to the meat and onion mixture and stir for one minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and let cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar
- Green Onions
- Diced Sweet Onions
- Soup Crackers
- Chucks of Avocado
- Elbow Noodles
- Corn Bread/French Bread
Snow Day Activities for Kids or the Kid in You
- Ice Skating/Hockey
- Build a Snow Man or Snow Fort
- Blow Frozen Bubbles
- Bake cookies, cupcakes, or bread
- Board Games
- Set up a Hot Chocolate Bar
- Painting or Clay Projects
- Learn to Knit or Crochet
I personally like to snuggle up with a hot tea, a really comfy throw, and a good book! My spot in front of the fireplace is always ready for me!
Another great cold-weather meal is a dutch oven filled with Beef Bourguignon. When it’s a snow day and I can’t go anywhere I typically have time to cook up this beautiful stew.
A snow day is also a great time to catch up on my bullet journal and my next month’s meal planning. While a snow day can sometimes make your life inconvenient, it can also be a nice surprising change-up of your day!
I hope you are having a wonderful day!
This sounds delicious! Sharing it on my Saturday Morning Gather.
Thank you my friend!
Omgoodness it looks so cold at your place! I love a good snow day and even though I work from home now, I still take those days off. Well, I sorta take them off! The chili looks amazing -pinned!
I’m always working even if there is snow but I like looking at it and building a fire in the fireplace. It’s all melted now and just ugly mud but supposed to be back tonight
This sounds amazing! Perfect for this cold rainy day. Hugs to you.
I made it on Sunday for Super Bowl so it was perfect!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love cold weather and having fires going.
Thank You Cindy – Thank you for sharing on our Fabulous Friday. I’m so glad that you are a feature this upcoming week.
This looks just about perfect!
Easy, Classic, Yummy!
Couldn’t agree more! Chili is the best on cold winter days! Hope you are enjoying being with your daughter and SIL.