Do you want the perfect meal for a cold winter day? I’m cooking up a family favorite over at our small house. My Just Right Spicy Chili.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details
I love a snow day! It’s just so nice to be inside, a fire crackling in the fireplace and a pot of Turkey Chili on the stove. When the kids were little they would go out and build a snowman or skate on the river if it was frozen. They would come back in when they got too cold and they would warm up with a mug of hot chocolate and a bowl of hot chili.
The Perfect Meal for a Cold Winter Day
This isn’t just a family favorite, it’s a classic American winter meal! It’s for a snow day, football game, potluck, and/or feed a big crowd event.
Traditionally this is made with ground beef however, I sometimes lighten it up by using ground turkey.
Just Right Spicy Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey I use 2 pd of meat because we like our chili pretty meaty and we don't add beans
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt (less is optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you don't want it as spicy)
- 1 16 oz can of red kidney beans (optional)
- Heat oil in a large stockpot on medium heat, add diced onions, and cook until translucent, stirring continually so they don't burn. Then add ground meat and brown. Drain if necessary.
- Add the garlic to the meat and onion mixture and stir for one minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and let cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar
- Green Onions
- Diced Sweet Onions
- Soup Crackers
- Chucks of Avocado
- Elbow Noodles
- Corn Bread/French Bread
Snow Day Activities for Kids or the Kid in You
- Ice Skating/Hockey
- Build a Snow Man or Snow Fort
- Blow Frozen Bubbles
- Bake cookies, cupcakes, or bread
- Board Games
- Set-up a Hot Chocolate Bar
- Painting or Clay Projects
- Learn to Knit or Crochet
I personally like to snuggle up with a hot tea, a really comfy throw, and a good book! My spot in front of the fireplace is always ready for me!
Another great cold-weather meal is a dutch oven filled with Beef Bourguignon. When it’s a snow day and I can’t go anywhere I typically have time to cook up this beautiful stew.
A snow day is also a great time to catch up on my bullet journal and my next month’s meal planning. While a snow day can sometimes make your life inconvenient, it can also be a nice surprising change-up of your day!
I hope you are having a wonderful day!