One of our favorite summer meals is a simple tomato pasta. This family favorite is a recipe that I got from a friend many years ago. This is the time of year that I typically make it often with our abundant supply of garden-fresh tomatoes. Unfortunately this year our garden is in ruins. You can read all about that HERE.
Summer Tomato Pasta
- Pasta Bowl
- Mixing Bowls
- 2 3/4 pounds tomatoes Cored and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil shredded
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (Can use less if your want less sodium)
- 1 tablespoon mince garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces fontina cheese (or fontinella) diced into 1/4" pieces
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 pound rotini or other short pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Combine first 4 ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occassionally
- Mix ricotta cheese with milk or cream to thin. Season with spices. Stir in cubed cheeses and let stand.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Darin and put into a large pasta bowl. Mix pasta with olive oil. Add cheese mixture and fold in so pasta is evenly coated.
- Drain tomato mixture in colander used to drain pasta. Put mixture on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with a good portion of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Pass the remainder
- Serve with Fresh French Bread & a Simple Green Salad
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe. I really enjoy making it when we have guests out on the boat for the day. When we get back home I can quickly throw together the tomato salsa and cheese mixture and then let them stand while we enjoy our company. At the last minute I boil the pasta and throw it together. You can serve with some crusty french bread and a simple salad.
I absolutely love pasta bowls. I use them for everything from loads of fresh eggs (did you know that you don’t have to refrigerate fresh eggs right out of the coop), fresh fruit. Here are a few of my favorites
I’ve also recently started making my own pasta with an attachment for my Kitchenaid. I was inspired by Leslie @ my100yearoldhome.com . She has the most awesome home and is so crafty and creative. If you don’t follow along with her, you should.
On my blog, Living Large in A Small House, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. Click HERE for full disclosure.
If you are looking for another pasta recipe with less calories, check out one of my other summer favorites HERE.
Enjoy your week and I hope you enjoy this easy summer tomato pasta recipe.