I have beautiful red ripe fresh tomatoes in my garden and I’m going to use some tonight. This tomato basil pasta recipe is absolutely perfect for a hot summer night.
Not to mention the only thing you have to cook is the pasta!
One of our favorite summer meals is this delicious pasta recipe. It’s a family favorite that I got from a friend many years ago. This is the time of year when I typically make it often with our abundant supply of garden-fresh tomatoes.
This year we are having issues with tomato blight which you can read about HERE
However, there are enough tomatoes to make this easy tomato pasta dish.
The topping is basically a tomato salsa made with fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic and sea salt. In fact, I have everything but the salt, fresh from my garden.
The pasta is a creamy mixture of ricotta, fontina, mozzarella, and also parmesan cheese. If you’re a cheese lover like me, you’re going to love this.
Summer Tomato Basil Salsa over Creamy Pasta
- 2 3/4 pounds tomatoes Cored and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil shredded
- 1 tablespoon sea salt Can use less if your want less sodium – You can also use Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces fontina cheese (or fontinella) diced into 1/4" pieces
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 pound rotini or other short pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Combine first 4 ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occassionally
- Mix ricotta cheese with milk or cream to thin. Season with spices. Stir in cubed cheeses and let stand.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain and put into a large pasta bowl. Toss pasta with olive oil. Add cheese mixture and fold in so pasta is evenly coated.
- Drain tomato mixture in colander used to drain pasta. Put mixture on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with a good portion of fresh grated parmesan cheese. Pass the remainder
- Serve with Fresh French Bread & a Simple Green Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details
Ways to Enjoy This Tomato Basil Recipe
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe as much as we do.
I really love making this when we have guests out on the boat for the day. When we get back home I can quickly throw together the tomato salsa and cheese mixture and then let them stand while we enjoy our company. At the last minute, I boil the pasta and throw it together.
You can serve the pasta dish with some crusty french bread, a simple salad, and most certainly a glass of wine.
I absolutely love pasta bowls. I use them for everything from loads of fresh eggs (did you know that you don’t have to refrigerate fresh eggs right out of the coop), to fresh fruit? Here are just a few of my favorites.
I’ve also recently started making my own pasta with an attachment for my Kitchenaid. I was inspired by Leslie @ my100yearoldhome.com. She has the most awesome home and is so crafty and creative. If you don’t follow along with her, you should.
If you are looking for another pasta recipes, check out the one’s below.
Enjoy your week and I hope you enjoy this easy summer tomato basil pasta recipe.
A great way to save this article is to save it to your Pinterest boards. You can find the pin button in the top left corner of the photo below. Also, don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest