If you need to get things done around your house, host a party and/or invite out-of-town guests to visit. It’s a sure way to get things done around our Little Urban Farm. Handy and I have found that when we have people coming over we just seem to step it up. We get out our perpetual “To Do” list and make a game plan. Here were my 5 Reasons to Host a Party!
1. Tackled Projects we had put off until Party Time!
- We’ve needed new carpeting on our stairs for years and now when we are hosting a party it was as good a time as any to take care of that. While we were at it we changed out the banister and stair trailers for a much more clean, polished look and finish. Of course that also involved a fresh coat of paint on all of trim.
I don’t have great pictures of the before stair remodel as we were only planning on replacing the carpet and then as things usually go at the Urban Farm, we took it to another level. I love how it all turned out. Check one thing off the to do list.
- I’ve been wanting to purge my over the top book collection since I read “The Life-Changing Magic of Tiding Up” by Marie Kondo. (I can’t wait to read her new book “Spark Joy”). Now was the time! I pulled all of my books off of my book shelves and donated about 400 books and reworked my great room book shelves.
What a difference. So uncluttered and clean! I just love it….
Living in a small house mean multi-use of space. My office also serves as our guest room and it needed a make-over in anticipation of out of town guests so we painted the walls, installed lighter window treatment and a new rug from Joss & Main. We accessorized with great finds from a local Antique store and HomeGoods. We have a LazBoy sofa bed that we upgraded with the optional memory foam mattress so it’s not an uncomfortable sleep for anyone who visits.
2. Getting the Yard Party Ready
- We replaced the plants that didn’t survive the winter after our late fall complete garden makeover. All of that work was in anticipation of upcoming parties. (Check out “What’s new on our Urban Farm”)
- We mulched all of the flower bed (two dump trucks full)
- Planted all of our pots and baskets
- Planted our veggie garden (Can’t wait for August canning, freezing and pickling)
- Our cracking, peeling blue & green Adirondack chairs needed a fresh coat of paint
3. Cleaning for Guests
- Deep cleaned the bookshelves during the purge along with other places that we can only get to with an extension ladder
- Cleaned out the junk drawers and bathroom drawers and cabinets (you never know when your hosting overnight guests and they might need something and peek into your messy areas). One of the reasons why I supply a guest basket with fresh towels in their rooms.
- Cleaned the oven, refrigerator and FREEZER! Yikes….
- Ashes from my nightly winter fires needed to be cleaned out of the indoor fireplace
- Cleaned the boat after winter storage
4. Linen Closets & Pantry
- Purged everything we didn’t use anymore along with anything that was expired
- Organized the pantry so items were easy to find and/or labeled
- Great excuse to buy new (much need) towels
- Washed all the linens and neatly put them away until guests arrived
5. What’s next?
- Sometimes you just have to give up on perfection and call it a day – Time to Party!